CalTrans walks back plan to clear homeless encampment

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
The pathway to the encampment located under the Maxwell Bridge in Napa. Griffin Jones photo
The pathway to the encampment located under the Maxwell Bridge in Napa. Griffin Jones photo

CalTrans has halted plans to clear out 10-plus tents off Imola Avenue and Coombs Street under the Maxwell Bridge.

The state agency reversed course after announcing plans earlier to move people from their encampment following a report by the Napa County Times published on Wednesday.

On Tuesday morning, CalTrans workers and California Highway Patrol officers arrived at the camp to notify residents of plans to clear out the area for grass cutting on Friday, Feb. 13. Residents stated that the workers proceeded to post signage advising people to move. That afternoon, Napa County Times reached out to CalTrans with multiple questions regarding encampment protocols, but the agency was unable to respond in time for publication until today.

“The department determined that the location is not on state property and removed signage. It’s not our jurisdiction,” said CalTrans Public Affairs Deputy Division Chief Christopher Clark in an email.

“That is not what they previously told us,” said Molly Rattigan, community resources and development director for the city of Napa. Rattigan said that she had been told “that their right of way was under the bridge and within a certain number of feet of the bridge footings.”

On Thursday afternoon, when encampment resident James Smith learned that CalTrans would be halting activity, he said most people had not yet relocated. “I’ve moved a couple things,” he said. With heavy rainfall the last two days, Smith and his neighbors weren’t able to get much done.

For now, the encampment will stay.

“Until we figure out this new development and verify it, we won’t take action there,” said Rattigan. “I would still encourage anyone camping there to seek shelter and housing support.”


Sponsored